Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Someone said there would be a prince...

 not the artist formerly known as Prince, or Prince, I'm not really sure what his name is now.

I think Walt Disney told me there would be a prince when I was about 5, that all I really had to do was give up my voice, or take a really long nap and he would show up. Well I suppose with enough valuim, I could make it feel like no time had passed at all and I had just been asleep waiting...FAT FUCKING CHANCE I WOULD EVER DO THAT I GOTTA GET OUT THERE, MOVE AROUND.

That being said I don't need no knights in shining armor on their little ponies, I brought my own horse, and I don't ride this thing side saddle. I've been thinking about independence as a woman lately. ONLY because my youngest sister is OBSESSED with romance. Everything is about romance, about finding "the one". I can't actually make fun of her too much because I feel like at that age I probably felt similar. I think it was more the idea that I could escape with "the one" that we would disappear to a far way place where nothing in my boring little life existed. I found out a few years later that I didn't need someone to swoop me up, and take me away from everything, that I could swoop myself up and get on a train alone, and head out to the "lonesome crowded west". That I could work two maybe three jobs, put myself though school, find an odd love of textile art in various forms, have a career and then walk away from it only to start the process again.

When I was 13 I read the series "Dealing with Dragons" the main character is a princess who runs away from her wedding and lives with a female dragon. Different princes attempt to come save her so they can win her hand in marriage. She always brushes them off and if I remember right typically saves their ass (no prince needed) I think when I look at my formable, need a prince, don't need a prince years, reading those books (no joke 14 times) really drove the idea home that I absolutely didn't need a god damn "prince" to do shit for me, and the chances of finding one that wouldn't need me to save them pretty slim.
Truth be told I don't need a man to buy me diamonds, I can and do buy my own damn diamonds. Really every man has disappointed me in relationships. I could go though their blunders and mine, but we would need more time.

I want my sisters to grow up knowing that if they have a dream they should follow it, to never let a partner, or anyone for that matter hold you back. If I had listened to everyone tell me no my whole life, I would be living in Wisconsin doing nothing.

I hope so much that she is more similar to me than she puts on and that it is not the appeal of a man, but the appeal of adventure that drives her. You can get a man anywhere, but an adventure, well sometimes, you need to get on a airplane, train, car, bus, bicycle, motorcycle, or your own two feet, to have one of those, and sometimes I feel like if you settle down you don't get to have those adventures, that you give the adventure a little bit for something a little different like a house. I for one am not exactly ready to give up my adventurer status. At the same time I suppose if one is talking about adventures and partners that you try to find one that is just as up or down for the same adventures as you are.

4 comments:

  1. Red,

    I have to admit I have been reading your blog now since October of last year (long story of how I got here, not important at the moment), and I have to say I am constantly captivated by what you write. That is, the blogs like this one where you seem focused and have a point to the story. The short blurbs about hating your manager are more entertaining than captivating but I digress.

    The reason why I am commenting now is that lately I find you really need something positive in your life to happen. Something to show that everything you're doing with your life is not all wasted on idiot people who don't give you the love and respect you deserve. Whether or not you take away a positive from this, do know that you have positively affected my life in small but powerful ways. Everyone has real life "grown up" problems, but you deal with some very heavy shit. No matter how bad it gets though you not only pick yourself up but you continue to try and pick up the other people who have faltered as well. It is inspiring to know that there are still truly good people out there trying to make the world a little bit better.

    To wrap up, thanks for giving me a little inspiration to keep on fighting not only for myself but for the ones I care about.

    Crazy Canadian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post!! I wish I would have gone on more of my own adventures back in my single days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red,

    You are a strong person, a complete person, a real human, things most are afraid even to aspire to.

    No, you don't need a prince to rescue you, that is obvious. You shouldn't have to be rescuing anyone, either. That said, two complete people can make each other better, stronger.

    Teach your sisters well. If either of them turns out to be anything like you, the world is better for it.

    Take care, my friend,

    dld

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've always had an awesome "tail", sometimes you just forget...

    ReplyDelete