Saturday, July 7, 2012

Am I magic mike right now?

There are a few parts in the movie magic mike that hit so close to my little stripper home it was almost painful. There is a moment where they stay up all night they are having this great time being totally irresponsible bridge jumping swimming at dawn. Waking up in a beautiful home generally enjoying life. There are moments like this in everyone's lives, there are also compartments that we fit into even if we don't want to. There is a drug deal gone wrong, as much as one can ignore drug use in this industry it's there. Stereotypes are created because one person had to go and ruin it for everyone, everyone has seen a drug deal gone wrong, or someone who is just a little to fucked up to work, or way to fucked up to work for that matter. There are moments when you watch Channing Tatum grow up and leave his "stripper life" behind,I think we (strippers) do that frequently just some of us do it a little differently than others for some it's getting their GED and that is an amazing accomplishment I love hearing about girls succeed academically even if it doesn't seem like its that big of a deal to anyone else. There is an argument he has with this girl that he likes where he says something along the lines of...am I Magic Mike right now, me talking to you am I Magic Mike right now, I'm not my job. We the stripper collective have all had that argument, it's not that the line is blurred to us, it becomes blurred to those around us,who lose perspective on what we are really trying to accomplish...or those of us with goals, but I feel that this happens in everyone's life that you must remind people, that you are not just a programmer, or a refrigerator repair person, or a waiter, or a financial analyst, a lawyer, there are compartments in every job that people will try to put you in. I suppose part of the human experience is reminding those around you that you are not "Magic Mike"

No comments:

Post a Comment